Soccer

'HE DOMINATED THE GAME AND DEFENDED HIMSELF WITH THE BALL', SAYS SAMPAOLI ABOUT FLAMENGO'S PERFORMANCE AGAINST GRÊMIO

Argentine coach granted a press conference after the team opened a good lead in the semifinal of the national tournament

Sampaoli in a calm tone at the press conference. Image: FlaTV
Sampaoli in a calm tone at the press conference. Image: FlaTV

26 Jul 2023 | 23:53 |

Icon Comentário0

Flamengo beat Grêmio 2-0, with goals from Gabigol and Thiago Maia, in the first leg of the semifinal of the Copa do Brasil, at the Arena, in Porto Alegre, and opened up a good advantage over the rival in the knockout tournament . After the match, coach Jorge Sampaoli highlighted the red-black performance and the difference between the two teams on the field.


- The difference in football was greater. I think the team played a semifinal definition of the Copa do Brasil and largely surpassed Grêmio. Valuing the result is not as significant as the way we play - said the Argentine.


Asked if this Wednesday's match was Flamengo's best since he took office, Jorge agreed and highlighted how the team knew how to work with ball possession using patience, without speeding up unnecessarily.


- I think so. It was a game that the team did not accelerate and exchanged a lot of passes in the rival field. He dominated the game and defended himself with the ball. From now on we have to find that way to always play this way. And Filipe gave us the possibility to have a better output (of the ball) - he analyzed.

The Red-Black team returns to the field next Saturday (29), in Belo Horizonte. Faces Atlético-MG in Mineirão, at 21h, for the 17th round. The second leg of the Copa do Brasil takes place only on August 16, at Maracanã.



Soccer

Will Flamengo vs. Grêmio be broadcast on Globo? Where to watch the Brasileirão

Mengão hosts Tricolor for the 22nd round of the Brazilian Championship at Maracanã this Sunday afternoon and can further isolate itself in the lead

Flamengo x Grêmio for the Brasileirão will be broadcast by Rede Globo for all of Brazil, except São Paulo - Photo: Reproduction
Flamengo x Grêmio for the Brasileirão will be broadcast by Rede Globo for all of Brazil, except São Paulo - Photo: Reproduction

31 Ago 2025 | 09:16 |

Icon Comentário0

Flamengo returns to the field this Sunday (31) to face Grêmio, in a match valid for the 22nd round of the Brazilian Championship. The ball rolls at 4 pm (Brasília time), at Maracanã, in a duel broadcast by Rede Globo on open TV and Premiere, on pay-per-view .


WHERE TO WATCH FLAMENGO X GRÊMIO


Rede Globo will broadcast the game throughout Brazil, with the exception of São Paulo. Gustavo Villani will be the commentator, with commentary by Junior and Roger Flores . The match will also be available on Premiere, ensuring full coverage for subscribers.


FLAMENGO'S SQUADS AND DOUBTS

Flamengo will have most of its squad available for the match. The confirmed absences are full-back Alex Sandro, recovering from a left calf injury, and defensive midfielder Erick Pulgar , who is still recovering from surgery on his right foot. Midfielder Jorginho is also doubtful, having missed recent training sessions with the rest of the group.


FLAMENGO'S PROBABLE LINEUP

With the confirmed absences, the expectation is that Filipe Luís will send onto the field a Flamengo with: Rossi; Varela (Emerson Royal), Léo Ortiz (Danilo), Léo Pereira and Ayrton Lucas; Allan (Jorginho), Saúl and Arrascaeta; Plata, Samuel Lino and Pedro.

CLASSIFICATION IN THE TABLE

Flamengo leads the Brasileirão with 46 points so far . Grêmio sits in 14th place with 24 points. Mengão is also keeping an eye on the Corinthians vs. Palmeiras match, hoping for a stumble for the green-and-whites to further open up a lead at the top of the table.


Soccer

Grêmio will have important absences against Flamengo in the Brasileirão

Mengão hosts Tricolor this Sunday (31) at 4 pm at Maracanã and Mano Menezes looks for options to deal with absences in the lineup

Check out Grêmio's absences for the match against Flamengo in the Brasileirão - Photo: Lucas Uebel/Grêmio FBPA
Check out Grêmio's absences for the match against Flamengo in the Brasileirão - Photo: Lucas Uebel/Grêmio FBPA

31 Ago 2025 | 09:05 |

Icon Comentário0

Grêmio will have to deal with new problems for the match against Flamengo , this Sunday (30), at Maracanã, for the 22nd round of the Brazilian Championship. The list of related players released by the Rio Grande do Sul club confirmed important losses for coach Mano Menezes.


ALYSSON AND AMUZU ARE ABSENT


The team's starting striker, Alysson , suffered a left ankle sprain during training and is out for the match . He joins Amuzu, who is still undergoing treatment for muscle discomfort. With the number 47 absent, Mano Menezes is considering two options for the attack. The most natural choice would be to bring in Argentine Pavon. Another alternative is to use Carlos Vinicius, which would lead to a tactical change, with Braithwaite dropping back to help create plays.


NEW FACE COULD MAKE ITS DEBUT FOR GRÊMIO

Despite the absences, Tricolor could have some new players. Recently signed Peruvian midfielder Erick Noriega was named in the squad for the first time and could make his debut . He participated in training throughout the week and is expected to earn minutes against Flamengo .


Another reinforcement, midfielder Arthur , already registered, was not included in the delegation, as planned by the coaching staff. To make up for the absence of important names, Mano Menezes also called up youngsters Luis Eduardo, Gabriel Mec, and Jardiel , who traveled to Rio de Janeiro.

PROBABLE GRÊMIO LINEUP

Mano Menezes' Grêmio team to face Flamengo is: Tiago Volpi; Marcos Rocha, Wagner Leonardo, Kannemann and Marlon; Dodi, Cuéllar and Edenilson; Pavon (Carlos Vinicius), Cristian Olivera and Braithwaite.

LIST OF RELATED GRÊMIO MEMBERS
  • Goalkeepers: Gabriel Grando, Thiago Beltrame and Tiago Volpi
  • Full-backs: Lucas Esteves, Marcos Rocha and Marlon
  • Defenders: Jemerson, Kannemann, Luis Eduardo, Viery and Wagner Leonardo
  • Defensive midfielders: Cuéllar, Dodi, Edenilson and Noriega
  • Midfielder: Cristaldo
  • Forwards: André Henrique, Aravena, Braithwaite, Carlos Vinicius, Cristian Olivera, Gabriel Mec, Jardiel and Pavon


Soccer

Former Flamengo player Paquetá is closer to a Premier League move

Midfielder expected to stay at West Ham after being cleared of match-fixing charges and Mengão could profit from a multi-million dollar sale

Paquetá is closer to transferring to Aston Villa and Flamengo could receive a millionaire sum - Photo: Reproduction/West Ham
Paquetá is closer to transferring to Aston Villa and Flamengo could receive a millionaire sum - Photo: Reproduction/West Ham

31 Ago 2025 | 08:27 |

Icon Comentário0

Midfielder Lucas Paquetá, who came through the ranks at Flamengo, is close to leaving West Ham to join Aston Villa . The deal between the Premier League clubs could generate £47 million (approximately R$345 million) . According to journalist Fabrizio Romano, the deal includes a loan with an obligation to buy, as well as additional variables.


The 28-year-old has reportedly already accepted the terms proposed by the Birmingham club. If the transfer is completed, the "Mais Querido" will receive a share of the proceeds, thanks to FIFA's Solidarity Mechanism .


WEIGHT REINFORCEMENT FOR ASTON VILLA


Paquetá 's arrival would mark a new chapter in the midfielder's Premier League career. He would be Aston Villa's fourth signing of this transfer window . The club has already confirmed striker Evann Guessand, defender Yasin Özcan, and goalkeeper Marco Bizot.

Paquetá arrived at West Ham in 2022, signing from Lyon for €43 million. Since then, he has made 123 appearances, scoring 20 goals and providing 14 assists . His biggest highlight was winning the 2023 UEFA Conference League, the Hammers' first continental title.


HOW MUCH WILL FLAMENGO PROFIT FROM THE SALE?

Having nurtured the player in its youth academy, Flamengo is entitled to approximately 4% of the total value of each international transfer involving Paquetá. Based on the £47 million proposal, the Rio de Janeiro club stands to receive approximately £1.88 million (R$13.8 million) at the current exchange rate. Since selling the midfielder to Milan in 2018, Flamengo has already accumulated significant amounts from transfers involving the player.

There were 24.5 million euros (R$ 104 million at the time) in the initial negotiation, another 800 thousand euros (around R$ 5 million) in the move to Lyon, and another R$ 12 million when he transferred to West Ham in 2022. With the possible move to Aston Villa, Paquetá could earn Flamengo, in total, approximately R$ 135 million since leaving the club.



envelope SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

envelopeSUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER


Former Flamengo player frustrated with Victor Hugo's move to Santos
Soccer

Former Flamengo player frustrated with Victor Hugo's move to Santos

31 Ago 2025 | 08:13

Icon Comentário0
Flamengo will have another absence due to call-up on the FIFA Date
Soccer

Flamengo will have another absence due to call-up on the FIFA Date

31 Ago 2025 | 08:03

Icon Comentário0
Cruzeiro is closing in on Flamengo in the Brasileirão; Check out the updated table
Soccer

Cruzeiro is closing in on Flamengo in the Brasileirão; Check out the updated table

31 Ago 2025 | 07:56

Icon Comentário0