Soccer

It's happening! Flamengo confirms purchase of land in Gasômetro to build its own stadium.

After reaching an agreement with the City Hall, the club officially acquired the space in the port area and began technical and environmental studies to build the future home.

Flamengo officially purchases the Gasômetro land and begins preparations to build its own stadium in the port region of Rio de Janeiro - photo: reproduction
Flamengo officially purchases the Gasômetro land and begins preparations to build its own stadium in the port region of Rio de Janeiro - photo: reproduction

29 Ago 2025 | 10:59 |

Icon Comentário0

Flamengo officially announced this Friday (29) the definitive purchase of the Gasômetro land, located in the port region of Rio de Janeiro, where the club's long-awaited own stadium will be built. The negotiation, which was stalled by administrative issues , was concluded after direct negotiations with public bodies.


The signing of the agreement was attended by President Luiz Eduardo Baptista and Mayor Eduardo Paes at the City Palace. To mark the occasion, both Mais Querido and the City Hall released an official video on social media announcing the completion of the process.


RIO DE JANEIRO CITY HALL MAKES AGREEMENT


Mayor Eduardo Paes had already sent a letter to the club in August proposing that the municipality undertake the removal of the existing gas pipeline on the land, which belongs to a state concessionaire. The measure was considered crucial to making the project economically viable and enabling the start of the site preparation work.

Flamengo acquired the Gasômetro stadium in July 2023, during Rodolfo Landim's administration, in an auction held after an expropriation conducted by the Rio de Janeiro City Hall. The amount paid was approximately R$138 million . Now, the club has an extended deadline to conduct in-depth technical, economic, and environmental studies, conducted by specialized companies such as FGV, AECOM, and Soloeste Engenharia.


OFFICIAL NOTE REINFORCES COMMITMENT

In a statement released this Friday, the club said: " The Clube de Regatas do Flamengo and the Municipality of Rio de Janeiro announce that Flamengo will retain the Gasômetro land, a measure that was formalized in a term of commitment with the Municipality's consent, this morning, at the Palácio da Cidade. The Club will therefore continue with the feasibility studies and development of the project, an essential step to guarantee its future realization. "


Soccer

Cuellar meets Flamengo again and recalls his time at the club: "It wasn't nice..."

Colombian midfielder will start for Grêmio at Maracanã and relives the behind-the-scenes of his controversial departure in 2019, marked by dismissal and frustrated negotiations

Cuéllar talks about his controversial departure from Flamengo in 2019 and recalls his departure before the decisive Libertadores duel - photo: reproduction
Cuéllar talks about his controversial departure from Flamengo in 2019 and recalls his departure before the decisive Libertadores duel - photo: reproduction

29 Ago 2025 | 11:58 |

Icon Comentário0

Midfielder Gustavo Cuéllar is expected to start for Grêmio in the match against Flamengo this Sunday (31), at 4 pm (Brasília time), for the Brazilian Championship. Before the reunion at Maracanã, the Colombian player returned to comment on the episodes that marked his departure from Rubro-Negro in 2019.


During an interview with the program Assado Para... on Duda Garbi's Channel, Cuéllar revealed details of the turbulent time he experienced five years ago. " It wasn't a pleasant departure at the time. It was turbulent. They even took me off before the match against Internacional (in the Libertadores quarterfinals), and I was out for a few days, without even training. It was difficult," said the midfielder.


BOARD BLOCKED NEGOTIATION


The player stated that his initial desire was to play for Bologna in Italy, but the Mais Querido management vetoed the transfer. " Marcos Braz presented me with the offer from Saudi Arabia, and it was the financial solution for my life and my family. In the middle of this negotiation, which I had already accepted, an offer arrived from Bologna in Italy. The amount was lower, but I had the dream of playing in Europe. And Flamengo didn't accept it," said the Colombian.

CUÉLLAR REVEALS THAT HE FELT USED


After being sidelined for almost 20 days, Cuéllar said he was called up again to play in the second leg against Internacional, in the quarterfinals of the 2019 Libertadores. “I wanted to go to Italy, but Flamengo denied it and took me away,” he said before adding.

"The Arabs even increased their offer, and since I was away, I ended up accepting. I didn't train for 20 days; I couldn't go to the club. Then, in the second game against Inter in the Libertadores, Flamengo asked me to play, saying I could leave later. I felt used ," he declared.


Soccer

More reinforcements? Flamengo president confirms: "The window isn't over yet"

Bap celebrated the acquisition of the land for its own stadium and stated that the club is still looking for signings before the transfer window closes.

Flamengo confirms purchase of Gasômetro land and president BAP guarantees that the club is still looking for reinforcements in the window - photo: reproduction
Flamengo confirms purchase of Gasômetro land and president BAP guarantees that the club is still looking for reinforcements in the window - photo: reproduction

29 Ago 2025 | 11:07 |

Icon Comentário0

Flamengo confirmed this Friday (29) the definitive purchase of the Gasômetro land , located in the port region of Rio de Janeiro, where it intends to build its own stadium. During the announcement, president Luiz Eduardo Baptista took the opportunity to reassure fans and left open the possibility of more reinforcements in this transfer window.


" Nation, let's go for more, because the window isn't over yet, " the director said in a video posted on the club's social media . The statement generated a lot of attention among fans, who began speculating about potential signings until the 11th, the transfer window deadline. Among the most talked-about rumors, striker Marcos Leonardo was the most mentioned.


LAND ACQUISITION IS CONFIRMED


The agreement signing took place at the City Palace and was attended by the club's president and Rio's mayor, Eduardo Paes . The announcement video was released on the club's and City Hall's digital platforms, marking the official completion of the purchase.

The Gasômetro land was acquired at auction on July 31, 2023, under the administration of Rodolfo Landim, for approximately R$138 million . The area underwent an expropriation process conducted by the municipality before being auctioned.


CITY HALL MAKES AGREEMENT WITH FLAMENGO

Last month , Mayor Eduardo Paes sent a letter to the club proposing that the City Council undertake the removal of the existing gas pipeline infrastructure on the property . According to him, the measure aims to "make the project economically viable," allowing impact and development studies to move forward unhindered.



Soccer

Flamengo reaches the half-billion mark in player sales in 2025

With the departure of Matheus Gonçalves to Arab football, the club surpasses R$500 million in sales and is among the highest-grossing clubs of the season in Brazil.

Lamengo surpasses R$500 million in sales with the departure of Matheus Gonçalves and leads the national revenue ranking - photo: reproduction
Lamengo surpasses R$500 million in sales with the departure of Matheus Gonçalves and leads the national revenue ranking - photo: reproduction

29 Ago 2025 | 10:42 |

Icon Comentário0

Flamengo announced the sale of Matheus Gonçalves to Al Ahli of Saudi Arabia for €8 million (approximately R$50 million). With the transaction, the club reached R$513 million in sales this season alone , the highest value ever achieved in its transfer market history.


The Matheus Gonçalves deal joins other significant transactions throughout the year. Fabrício Bruno was sold to Cruzeiro for R$44 million, Alcaraz went to Everton for R$96 million, Wesley signed with Roma for R$162.2 million, and Gerson returned to Zenit for R$160.6 million . This performance in the market cemented the club's position as a leading player among Brazilian clubs that raised the most money.


FLAMENGO STANDS OUT


In the national annual revenue ranking, Flamengo ranks highly. If its sales were counted as revenue for an independent club, the R$513 million figure would place "Flamengo Sales" in 10th place overall , surpassing the likes of Grêmio, Vasco, Santos, and Cruzeiro.

The general list is led by Flamengo itself (R$1.334 billion), followed by Palmeiras (R$1.274 billion) and Corinthians (R$1.114 billion) . The top 5 is closed by São Paulo (R$731.9 million) and Botafogo (R$720 million).


MORE EXITS FROM FLAMENGO

Midfielder Victor Hugo, 21, remains one of the names considered for a move away from the team . Santos has expressed interest, but negotiations have stalled and are pending approval from the president. Despite the approval of coach Filipe Luís and director José Boto, the final decision rests with Luiz Eduardo Baptista, known as Bap. Alongside him, forwards Michael and Juninho are also awaiting official loan offers and remain on the transfer market's radar.


envelope SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

envelopeSUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER


Flamengo provides update on tickets sold for the Brasileirão match against Grêmio
Soccer

Flamengo provides update on tickets sold for the Brasileirão match against Grêmio

28 Ago 2025 | 21:15

Icon Comentário0
Flamengo defender Léo Pereira could be arrested? Defender explains situation with Tainá Castro
Soccer

Flamengo defender Léo Pereira could be arrested? Defender explains situation with Tainá Castro

28 Ago 2025 | 20:38

Icon Comentário0
CBF defines referee for Flamengo x Grêmio, for the Brasileirão
Soccer

CBF defines referee for Flamengo x Grêmio, for the Brasileirão

28 Ago 2025 | 18:26

Icon Comentário0